:: [DNG] kernel-update: initramfs fail…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Florian Zieboll
Aan: [DNG]
Onderwerp: [DNG] kernel-update: initramfs fails to find swap

Hallo list,

after the latest kernel-update (chimaera, from 5.10.0-10-amd64 to
5.10.0-11-amd64), my desktop's initramfs no longer finds the swap
(suspend/resume) partition.

Running 'update-initramfs -u' returns the correct UUID "to resume
from", and also adding the line

    resume=UUID=<correct UUID here>

to '/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume' does not solve the issue:
Booting stalls for half a minute and then continues with the
information that it "gave up waiting for suspend/resume device".

On examining this I noticed, that my block devices are no longer named
persistently: Sometimes the disk comes up as 'sda' and sometimes as
'sdb', although both internal disks are connected to the same onboard
SATA controller. I am not yet absolutely sure, if the name swap happens
always or randomly - but as I suspect it to be the reason for the
failing swap discovery, which occurs reliably every time I (re)boot, I
assume that it happens with _every_ boot cycle.

NB: Some days before, I had to replace the system's other hard disk -
but I am quite (grrrr: very!) sure that the phenomenon occurred only and
directly after the latest kernel update mentioned above, as the boot
delay is hard to miss.

Any hints are very welcome!

Libre Grüße,
Florian