:: Re: [DNG] The Daedalus desktop need…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] The Daedalus desktop needs some love
On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 07:03:27AM -0600, o1bigtenor wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 6:33 AM Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:

> > > I just want to comment that I have two identical model displays side
> > > by side in a dual monitor configuration on my desktop. Both are
> > > identical as far as any model vendor and number are concerned. Yet
> > > side by side it is pretty obvious to me that they have a difference in
> > > color tone between them. They are definitely not the same even though
> > > by specification they will be the same.
> > >
> > > The first order difference in my two monitors I think is that the
> > > backlight is not identical between them. One shows a slightly warmer
> > > color hue to the backlight from the other. I think that swamps other
> > > effects causing differences in my "matched pair".
> > >
> > > None of this really has any effect on how nice a color theme looks on
> > > the displays though. That's an art project more than a science project.
> > >
> > > Bob
> >
> > It's nice if the desktop colours look good on a perfectly calibrated monitor.
> > But what's more important for it to look good on the variety of monitors
> > regular users use.
> > So we should test the imagery on the ordinary, everyday laptops and
> > monitors we have at home and work.
> > And it's important the the colours work even if one is colourblind.
> > I'd suggest viewing it converted to greyscale as a first try at testing
> > this, bt a friend of mine who is colourblind tells me it's far more
> > complicated than this.
> >
> AIUI there are not only different forms of color blindedness but also
> different levels. Putting that all together means a very large amount
> of complexity.
>
> Likely an easy path to avoid most difficulties - - - use only strong
> primary colors - - - does that solve the possible issues - - - nope
> but those that are color blind have learned to cope with those specific
> issues (I'm thinking of red like in stop lights).

I'm not colourblind, but I have noticed there's a standard arrangement of
colours on a set of traffic lights, with the red on the bottom.
Also (this is a little harder to see) the different lights have
different shapes.
Around here, for example, the red light is octagonal, like a stop sign.

The best I know is to use a grey scale.
But we'd want a grey scale to be what appears on the screen, not a
colour gamut that might not match what some colour-blind person sees.

My friend's colour blindness is not just that some primaries don't work;
it seems to be a complicated interaction between primaries.

I don't understand it either.

-- hendrik