:: Re: [DNG] merged /usr breakage
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Didier Kryn
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] merged /usr breakage
Le 07/01/2022 à 10:18, Didier Kryn a écrit :
> Le 06/01/2022 à 22:00, Bob Proulx via Dng a écrit :
>> Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Immediately I think of all of those script "installers" that request
>> the user do this and similar to install their software as root this way.
>>
>>      wget -O- http:/example.com/foo.sh | bash
>>
>> How many projects do this?  Hundreds?  Thousands?
>>
>> In real life I have encountered many CAD/EDA tool vendors with
>> installation scripts that casually make system modifications not
>> knowing what they do.  I try to keep those contained.
>>
>> In real life I have encountered sysadmins who have casually modified
>> modules, python in this case but it could have been other, in /usr/lib
>> outside of the package manager or any tracking.  Then later normal
>> machine upgrades were broken because newer modules were broken by
>> upgrading older ones.  If those had been made into /usr/local instead
>> it would have been both visible and would not have been broken by
>> normal system upgrades.
>>
>> Being more than twice burned I am extremely shy now...

>> Or into /usr/local which now requires root.  Back in the better days
>> of Debian it used to be possible for a user of group staff to install
>> into /usr/local without full superuser access.  But that's gone from
>> the installation now.
>>
>>      https://bugs.debian.org/484841#62
>>
>> Since that has been removed in favor of using full root for everything
>> it removes a useful safety net layer.  For example this statement.
>>
>>      Russ Allbery writes in comment #77 in favor of using full root
>>      instead of a more limited group staff.
>>
>>      I would prefer to drop the writeability of /usr/local by staff
>>      personally.  I don't think it serves much useful purpose these days
>>      given the existence of tools like sudo, and where it does, I
>> think we
>>      can work out a transition plan that will make it relatively easy
>> for
>>      sites to recreate the concept.
>>
>> And the vote went against it.  So it's gone now.  It's root only.
>> Sigh.  On my systems I recreate the group staff concept and
>> implementation.  Because I do find it useful.

>>>      Installing application and configuration files in /opt is a
>>> possibility,
>>> but what to do with man page, application launcher, entry in the
>>> application
>>> menu? Installing in /opt does not require to mount /usr readonly. Just
>>> create a particular user account for /opt and use it to install.
>>> Even one
>>> user and one subdir per application.
>> Although I am not fully warmed up to /opt even after all of these
>> years for each of these questions there is a strategy to handle it.
>> PATH, MANPATH, desktop launcher files, and so forth.  But those are
>> all already set up for /usr/local by default.  /opt by the nature of
>> it being outside of the normal system then requires everything to be
>> set up for it.  Which is possible and easily done.  But then also must
>> be done if used.

> [...]

Concerning installation in /usr/local:
--------------------------------------

    My first investigations indicate that there is provision in
Freedesktop.org to put icons and launchers under $HOME/.local, but
nothing for /usr/local. Therefore the installation of an application in
/usr/local could include executable, config files and manpages, but the
icon and the launcher would be per user.
    Seems /usr/local is honoured by the base system (default PATH and
default man search path) but is "deprecated" by Freedesktop.

Concerning installation in user's space:

    As written above, Freedesktop enables icons, launchers and
applications menu in ~/.local . Man will look also by default search
~/man if it exists, but, to my knowledge, there is no default user
directory for executables; it is therefore up to the user to create this
directory and specify it when installing, which makes uninstallation
problematic.

    In this case, the installer might force the use of ~/bin and ~/man
and create them if they don't exist.

--     Didier