Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Ryzen?

> On 28 Dec 2021, at 3:54 am, Antony wrote:
> Can anyone comment on current (eg: Beowulf / Chimaera with standard kernels)
> operation on such machines?

> Any opinions from personal experience, or pointers to reliable data, on the
> topic would be appreciated :)

I run a bunch of ryzen (3700’s IIRR) based machines in our build servers at work. A cluster for Kubernetes. Main issues are motherboard drivers for things like NICs and M2/SATA. Squeezed into a 2U case, cooling is interesting too. While we ended up rolling out ubuntu 20.04, I spent some time evaluating them on devuan 3. Everything was supported, save the onboard NIC, so ended up running a pair of low profile cards in each to get LACP to a pair of switches. We also went with some USB based temp monitoring and fan control units, not supported on devuan 3 due to libraries, thus ubuntu. Might pay me to go look at this issue again now I’ve moved machines to devuan 4. The desktop MoBos support GPU on the CPU, A DVI port is on the MoBo, however that was not in the CPU model we chose, so ran a low profile GPU instead. Next time I build something like this, I would rather the GPU be on chip to avoid extra pci-e cards.

Look to the chipset on your MoBo of choice before hand. Hopefully you can avoid any pain this way in advance =)

Cheers,

Kim