Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] nvidia-persistenced can't be installed
Hi,

On Thu, 2021-12-30 at 15:26 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> When I try to do an upgrade, I'm told nvidia-persistenced is not
> configured. When I reinstall it I get:

> Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.
> Setting up nvidia-persistenced (460.32.03-1) ...
> Starting NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
> nvidia-persistenced failed to initialize. Check syslog for more
> details.
> invoke-rc.d: initscript nvidia-persistenced, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing package nvidia-persistenced (--configure):
> installed nvidia-persistenced package post-installation script
> subprocess returned error exit status 1
> nvidia-persistenced
> Setting up nvidia-persistenced (460.32.03-1) ...
> Starting NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
> nvidia-persistenced failed to initialize. Check syslog for more
> details.
> invoke-rc.d: initscript nvidia-persistenced, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing package nvidia-persistenced (--configure):
> installed nvidia-persistenced package post-installation script
> subprocess returned error exit status 1
> nvidia-persistenced
>
> I'm runing Chimaera with fluxbox but no desktop environment. I
> reinstalled xord and fluxbox. Syslog does not report an error.

> $ lspci -nn | egrep -i "3d|display|vga"
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation
> RocketLake-S GT1 [UHD Graphics 750] [8086:4c8a] (rev 04)
> 00:17.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:43d2]
> (rev 11)
>
> I ran # apt install -f
>
> I ran # aptitude reinstall nvidia-persistenced
> E: Internal Error, No file name for nvidia-persistenced:amd64
>
> Help would be much appreciated.

I had to deal with what may be the same problem on updating from Ascii
to Beowulf.

The problem I found is caused by the nvidia-persistenced init not
checking for an existing running copy of nvidia-persistenced.

i) if you don't use CUDA then you can simply get rid of nvidia-
persistenced.

ii) if you want CUDA then you can patch /etc/init.d/nvidia-persistenced

My dev1galaxy forum posts might be of some help:

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=20903#p20903
- my fixed version of /etc/init.d/nvidia-persistenced.

and
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=20917#p20917

- which explains that you can probably also get away with simply
removing or disabling nvidia-persistenced as for most use cases it's
not needed unless you want to use CUDA.

If you can't access these I can send you the patched init.

--
Marjorie