:: Re: [DNG] Ryzen?
Top Pagina
Auteur: tempforever
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Ryzen?
Antony Stone wrote:
> I'm sure I've read somewhere (and not especially recently) that Linux on AMD
> Ryzen CPUs can be unreliable and/or surprisingly poor performance.
>
> Can anyone comment on current (eg: Beowulf / Chimaera with standard kernels)
> operation on such machines?
>
> If it matters, I'm looking at desktop / tower / server motherboards and not
> laptops, and I don't care two hoots about graphics - this would be for
> networked machines accessed exclusively remotely.
>
> Any opinions from personal experience, or pointers to reliable data, on the
> topic would be appreciated :)

I'm running Beowulf on a (desktop) Ryzen 5 3600.  The only issue I had
initially was I needed a newer kernel (the backports one is good) for
the motherboard sensors.  Oh and I think my motherboard audio has driver
problems that I never got sorted out, but I use USB headphones.  As to
performance and reliability, I'm pleased with both.  Considering another
Ryzen when it's time to upgrade again (this is my first AMD desktop system).