:: Re: [DNG] Automating the distro?
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: tito
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Automating the distro?
On Tue, 7 Dec 2021 16:16:32 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I wonder if building Devuan can be further automated. Void Linux has
> some super-duper software processes to do much of this automatically.
> It works right off of a git server (unfortunately, github). If I'm not
> mistaken it puts out two updates a day, but of course there's no
> automatic updating so the user chooses when to do all the updates up to
> current. With very few people, Void Linux manages to keep a very
> complete distro with very few screwups, and they fix major security
> flaws about as fast as Debian.

Hi,
I fail to see how rebuilding all the stuff twice a day even if there are
no changes could be useful:

1) do you want to automate the building of the devuanized packages
      or of all packages?
2) How does the system know when a series of commits is complete?
     How do we avoid that half-baked packages are built?

> I'm wondering if Devuan could make use of something similar. Perhaps
> doing this would free up resources to Devuanize more packages, for less
> dependency on Debian.

In the beginning it will bind more resources as you need to learn the new
workflow, later I think it will not make a great difference because to
devuanize more packages you need more developers and there are
not many. It is already a miracle that such a small group of devs
is able to run this project (just look at the weekly meetings,
there are a handful of people at best).
If devuanizing more packages will ever be needed this will endanger
the future of devuan unless there is a increase in manpower and
resources (tech and money).

> Before you ask, no, I can't help. I'm indexing my new book, I'm making
> provisions so programs written in Freepascal, C, and pretty much any
> other language, can send a sine wave to the speakers (a capability
> requiring waaaaay too much programming in Linux). Of course I'll
> release it as Free Software.

That's sad as you have the expertise needed to help.

> The Debian "Community" is getting more rotten every day. Just today on
> Debian-User, somebody asked a maybe sorta dumb question, and several
> people gleefully jumped all over him. One guy (not the OP) thanked
> everybody for their diverse solutions, and then criticized the OP,
> signing his email "With kindest regards" :-). Another guy managed to
> bring the OP's advanced age into it. So it's not just their politicians
> with their rigged GRs, it's the very citizenry of Debian itself. In the
> long run it's probably going to be advantageous for Devuan to move more
> toward a distro of its own, before the Debian crowd decide to put in
> halloween code to sabotage Devuan.

To be honest the same happens sometimes on the devuan
mailing list and forum.
This just mirrors today's society: people forgot that collaboration
made us climb down the trees and move from Afar region
to conquer all corners of the world. They look in their little
oled screens and feel powerful swiping left and right with their
fingers.
I still remember a episode that happened some thirty years
ago: a tree fall in Switzerland during a storm on a high voltage wire
and the domino effect caused a 2-3 days long blackout in whole Italy.
This made me understand that our civilization rests on very shaky ground.
Should debian decide to cut the metaphorical tree by adding a dependency
to systemd in every package than devuan will be history and at that point trying
to build a distro from scratch will be next to impossible, so you need to
have a plan B.

Ciao,
Tito