:: [DNG] can't print PDFs
Página Inicial
Autor: Haines Brown
Para: dng
Novos Tópicos: Re: [DNG] can't print PDFs [Solved?]
Assunto: [DNG] can't print PDFs
I'm using a HP LaserJet 1300 printer with Devuan. I used to able to
print PDFs without a problem. But when I installed the operating
system on new hardware I could no longer print PDFs.

A two-word PDF prints OK. More complicated PDFs are sent to the queue
but rather than print simply ñturn on the printer's error LED. The
printer is using the recommaned Poststcript filter.

In CUPS inteface the printer is seen as:

  HP_LaserJet_1320_series
  HP LaserJet 1320 series       lenin
  HP LaserJet 1320 series Postscript (recommended)
  Processing - "Use "pdftops-renderer" option (see cups-filters README file)
    to use Ghostscript or MuPDF for the PDF -> PostScript conversion."

I look at /usr/share/doc/cups-filters/README.gz. It seems that to print
PDFs I must download and compile cups-filters-1-current.tar.gz. This is
where I got into trouble.

Poppler, freetype, fontconfig, and liblcms (liblcms2 recommended) must
be installed to be able to compile this package.

I don't have access to a program named "poppler":

  i A poppler-data                   - encoding data for the poppler PDF renderi
  i A poppler-utils                  - PDF utilities (based on Poppler)
  p   python3-poppler-qt5            - Python binding to Poppler-Qt5 C++ library
  i A qpdfview-pdf-poppler-plugin    - tabbed document viewer - DjVu plugin
  p   ruby-poppler

I do have fontconfig installed and also liblcms2-2 installed.

Because the BZT repository does not contain a prebuilt configure
script, I must first run autoconfig. This only leads to some undefined
macro errors. It says please use m4_pattern_allow. Man autoconf says
nothing about what this means.

Why has printing a PDF become so difficult? This makes no sense to me

--
Haines Brown