:: Re: [DNG] networking thinking
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rod Rodolico
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] networking thinking
We use OPNSense for almost everything that does not require untrained
users to manage things. For the latter, we use IPFire.

OPNSense works for small offices that just want VPN, up to our NOC where
we have two routers (active/failover), DMZ and multiple backend LAN's.
But, it does require some networking knowledge (though not as much as
"roll your own"). Don't know what part of the world you're in, but we
use Protectli (https://protectli.com/) hardware from the US. Pricey, but
I've not had a hardware failure in the 5+ years I've been using their
stuff. They have an option for Coreboot, a video port and a serial port,
so I feel I'm covered.

OPNSense also sells hardware specific to the appliance.

We also purchase used enterprise grade network switches (mainly HP) and
have had good results with them since we can monitor and configure at
will. The smaller clients are running little 16 port, 15 year old
switches, and at the NOC we're using two 96 port switches in and HA
configuration. As mentioned, the webUI on the switches doesn't work most
of the time, but I'm mainly a CLI type of tech anyway, so it doesn't
bother me.

Reply to questions:

1. Less hardware is better from a maintenance point of view. OPNSense
has an excellent firewall, so I do not have a separate firewall device.
My reason is pure laziness; I go to one interface I'm comfortable with
and configure there. Most of my firewalling is just allowing traffic
from one VLAN to another anyway, which is more of a routing thing.

2. No good training on networking that I know of except going back to
school.

If you decide to go with OPNSense, they have some decent documentation,
and the pfSense site has more. Feel free to visit my notes site at
http://kb.unixservertech.com for some recipes on OPNSense, but be warned
these are my personal notes and I'm not a good writer. I mainly stick
things out there so I don't have to remember them next time, but
occasionally, the OPNSense people will do an upgrade that negates all or
part of my notes.

Rod