:: Re: [DNG] exim paniclog /var/log/ex…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Marc Shapiro
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] exim paniclog /var/log/exim4/paniclog has non-zero size

On 12/1/21 10:10, Ludovic Bellière via Dng wrote:
> If you do not need your mail system to talk to the world, then you should
> replace exim with something that is a lot simpler to use and
> configure. I would
> suggest msmtp (https://marlam.de/msmtp/) as its configuration is a lot
> more
> simpler to the neophyte. If you want to keep exim4, I would then
> suggest to nuke
> the existing configuration and start from scratch with `dpkg-reconfigure
> exim4-config'. Extended information should be available at
> https://wiki.debian.org/Exim
>
> Exim4 being a software designed to handle large amount of emails, it
> may be out
> of scope for your personal usage. While, as I said, msmtp is a lot more
> accessible through its minimalist approach: you only need a file with
> a dozen of
> lines for it to function properly.
>
> While I do use it, I wouldn't be able to help you with exim4, the
> software is
> way too large and complex for my own understanding. I mainly rely on
> dpkg-reconfigure and hope nothing breaks. And while msmtp is easier to
> understand, changing software can itself be a source of immeasurable
> pain. So,
> if in doubt, you should probably rely on dpkg-reconfigure.
>
> Cheers,
>                 Ludovic
>

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2021, Marc Shapiro via Dng wrote:
>
>> This is very likely the problem, as I now have version 4.94.2-7
>> installed.  I know virtually nothing, however, about how MTAs do
>> their work.  Where and how do I make these config changes.  I use
>> Thunderbird for mail coming from outside the local network. Exim is
>> only used for local transport (such as e-mail from cron jobs).
>>

>> Marc

I looked into some of the other options and I do not recall why I
decided against them.  It may have been when I thought that I was going
to use the MTA for more than just local mail.

In any case, I have run `dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' using the
defaults from when I set it up originally.  I am hoping that doing so
with the new exim4 installed will correct the configuration issues.

When I ran `dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' I got the error about the
paniclog being non-zero size, but I expected that.  I truncated the
paniclog and ran `dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' again, this time with
no errors.

I have sent myself an e-mail from 'root' but have not received it.  I
will probably try shutting down the system and rebooting, to see if that
gets things back in order after the reconfig.

Marc