:: Re: [DNG] networking thinking
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Mike Tubby
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] networking thinking

On 28/11/2021 15:22, dng@??? wrote:
> On 28-11-2021 15:36, wirelessduck--- via Dng wrote:
>>

>>> On 29 Nov 2021, at 01:07, tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you want to have reliability splitting is good, if the router breaks
>>> you still have a working firewall and switch and so on.
>>> If you want also some redundancy you should think of buying
>>> two of everything:
>>>
>>> 2 routers
>>> 2 firewalls
>>> 2 switches (2 x24 rather than 1x48 ports)
>>>
>>> I personally prefer x86 hardware for this kind of things
>>> when I see that little boxes like the Nanopi R4S they make me
>>> think about toys. In my case sadly I'm tied to adsl over pots
>>> so for the modem I still need to use this little plastic blackboxes.
>>> In your case I would swap the nanopi for a nice mini-itx board
>>> with intel nics, a sfx/flex psu (or pico psu), 4-8 gb of ram and a well
>>> ventilated case (with low noise Noctua fans).

>>> I think so.

>>> I use arno-iptables-firewall It is easy to create a basic setup for
>>> your network,
>>> reliable, comes with good defaults and can easily be tweaked (for
>>> port-forwarding,
>>> vpns, geoip filtering and so on, don't know about vlans as don't use
>>> them yet).

>>> Ciao,
>>> Tito
>>
>> I’ve just finished setting up a new router using PCEngines APU2
>> (apu4d4 model) with OpenWRT. Uses x64 AMD Embedded G series GX-412TC
>> and has 4x Intel i211AT Ethernet ports. It also runs a Coreboot bios
>> and I can see regular bios updates approximately monthly. The
>> coreboot bios and AMD CPU were the main reasons I picked this over a
>> Qotom box. It’s also fanless which is good for a quiet environment.
>>
>> The only downside is having only serial console output so you need a
>> serial cable or serial-usb cable for the initial setup or bios
>> configuration changes. Thankfully subsequent bios updates can be done
>> with OpenWRT via flashrom.
>>
>> https://pcengines.ch/apu2.htm
>> https://pcengines.github.io/
>> https://teklager.se/en/knowledge-base/openwrt-installation-instructions/
>>
>> --
>> Tom
>
> Interesting this PCEngines hardware! I did have Qotom hardware with
> pfSense but it failed after a few years. Now I am using a fairly old
> Fujitsi with a AMD G-T56N processor and two Realtek network interfaces
> which is supposed to be low powered < 10W.
>
> I prefer pfSense over OpenWRT but is maybe more a habit. Although i do
> have a wireless AP from Netgear with OpenWrt. But I too certainly
> prefer X86 hardware with Intel Ethernet ports for a firewall.
>
> One reason for my pfSense preference is the possibility to backup your
> configuration and restore it on other hardware in minutes. The fork
> OPNsense looks good to me too but I do not have real life experience
> with it.
>
> Grtz.
>
> Nick

I prefer Devuan 4.0 running on Sophos XG 115 (Rev 3) hardware (under 10
watts) with my IPtables firewall rulesets that I have developed over the
last 10 years tweaking and honing and have survived several penetration
tests from well-known (in the UK at least) security companies.

Personally, I don't want to use OpenWRT, Pfsense or whatever when I have
already had 10+ years involvement in developing and implementing 'rock
hard' solutions using native IP tables ... YMMV ;-)

Mike