:: Re: [DNG] Viewing file content (was…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Olaf Meeuwissen
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: wirelessduck
Kopio: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Viewing file content (was Re: system administration of non-systemd distros and releases)
Hi,

wirelessduck--- via Dng writes:

>> On 27 Nov 2021, at 14:24, Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@???> wrote:
>>
>> Looking at the lesspipe manual page[1] (don't have less installed ;-),
>> it seems that it doesn't support on-the-fly encoding switching but as
>> far as dealing with compressed files, I guess there is no or not much
>> difference.
>>
>> [1]: https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/less/lesspipe.1.en.html
>
> Ahh ok. I’ve never had to deal with alternate encodings. If I ever
> needed that I would probably just alias less to lv, assuming the UI is
> similar enough. Muscle memory is hard to overcome sometimes.

ACK. First thing I do on Alpine and RPM distros is add an alias for
pager to my ~/.profile.

BTW, for those interested in or already using lv, you may want to add a
.lv file with

-c

to make it work better with ANSI escape codes (lest they are mistaken
for part of text in some encoding).

Hope this helps.