:: [DNG] Devuan --> Debian?
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Antony Stone
To: dng
Oggetto: [DNG] Devuan --> Debian?
Hi.

This may seem like a strange question, but has anyone tried "migrating" a
machine from Devuan to Debian (ie: not the normal way round we discuss it
here)?

I have a need to play with FreeSwitch, and the package installer tells me:

freeswitch-systemd : Depends: systemd which is a virtual package and is not
provided by any available package

I have a *very* fast and convenient method of creating Devuan VMs to play
with, whereas creating a Debian VM would involve going through the entire
standard Debian installer process (time difference: ~1 minute vs. ~1 hour).

So, is it worth my while trying:

- create a Beowulf VM
- add either Buster or (since it became officially stable last weekend)
Bullseye to sources.list
- doing an upgrade and/or a dist-upgrade

Anyone tried it? Success? Failure? You must be mad?

My intention is simply to get FreeSwitch installed, find out how much it really
*does* depend on systemd, and see how feasible it is to take those bits out or
replace the init scripts etc, and then run it on Devuan.

Opinions and experiences most welcome :)

Antony.

--
Schrödinger's rule of data integrity: the condition of any backup is unknown
until a restore is attempted.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.