:: Re: [DNG] Microsoft: Really? Yes. I…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Microsoft: Really? Yes. It's all about vapour
Bernard Rosset via Dng said on Thu, 12 Aug 2021 19:22:28 +0200

>Foreseable, foreseen, and now happening.
>It is the logical and predictable move away from local installed
>instances on own hardware to everything "cloud"/vapourous.

I agree.

>Said move is *not* user-focused (despite marketing - aka "bullshit" -
>about "simplicity" that will ensue), but is operator-focused... as the
>whole "cloud" thing is: it eases things for the service provider on
>many levels.

I agree.

>Welcome to the Software-as-a-Service world.
>This has been the go-to cash cow for 10-15 years or so: you do not own
>things anymore, as you rent them.

I agree 1000%. I was just bitching about this a few days ago in regard
to that estupido Pelaton exercise machine. $49/month for life.

>Almost guaranteed continuous income as the vendor lock-in is even more
>violently ensured: stop to pay and you lose everything.
>The longer you stay, the more effective the effect, as habits and
>stored data grow.

Yes!

>Rents. Coercion by attrition of other means. No need to add value when
>people cannot go around your scam.
>Invented by <...> ages ago. Adoption growing each and every day.

Unfortunately true.

>On a M$ business roadmap note, it was a foreseeable move from the CEO
>which has pushed for unification and cloud-based since his arrival.
>- Azure
>- End of Windows Phone (it will come back, with a unified Windows)
>- Office 365
>- Windows 365

Which is why I'm sooooooo glad I use Linux.

>The gap is ever groing between people who understand what they are
>doing and ask for budget control and the mass consumer who has no idea
>nor who cares about what (s)he consumes, provided it's easy,
>immediate, and resonates well with his/her most immediate wishes.

Yes! Whether it's Red Hat pushing systemd, or Microsoft pushing OS as
a service, user ignorance is the vendor's friend.

SteveT

Steve Litt