:: Re: [DNG] Microsoft: Really?
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Mark Rousell
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Microsoft: Really?
On 12/08/2021 03:49, Steve Litt wrote:
> Check out this article:
>
> https://www.computerworld.com/article/3628169/windows-365-costs-how-much.html
>
> Windows 365...
>
> So let me get this straight:

[...]
> Of course the real effect of this is that Mocrosoft takes possession of
> every single bit of your computing experience, making it extremely hard
> for you to ever escape.

Yup, all that and you still need some sort of computing device to
connect to their cloud service.

It's poor value and massively increases attack and risk surface. (I say
"risk" since there are risks inherent in this that need not be part of
an attack by unauthorised outsiders).

But, despite all that, it's going to be massive. More and more people
will want it for... "convenience" or something similar. Convenience
wins, even when it's no really very convenient.

As I see it there are only two USPs for a service like this:

(1) It's accessible for anywhere you have Internet access and a
computing device.

(2) It is (I presume) backed up so you don't need to run your own
backups... well, in theory. In practice that should not be relied upon
but people definitely will give up doing their own backups due to
systems like this.

--
Mark Rousell