:: Re: [DNG] ..a viable basis for Devu…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Arnt Karlsen
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Παλιά Θέματα: Re: [DNG] Announce: FlyingTux project
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] ..a viable basis for Devuan as a hypervisor?, was: libvirt package without X11 and DBus
On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 13:40:32 -0400, Hendrik wrote in message
<20210806174032.oukaim634ul75wcu@???>:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 02:49:32PM +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT
> consult wrote:
> > Hello folks,
> >

> Have a look at inferno. http://inferno-os.org/

..the profetics: http://inferno-os.org/company/names.html
They are literally trying to breathe new life into 2003 vintage
32bit Bell Labs Plan9 and Inferno code that should run well
under any OS capable of hosting 32bit guests. Even Devuan. ;o)
No systemd AFAICT, may well be worth the effort.
Commercial and MIT license.

..on Thu, 5 Aug 2021 20:07:19 +0800, Brad wrote in message
<4f39fd8f-64a5-4488-6640-668d3ceec08c@???>:

> On 5/8/21 6:37 pm, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 11:13:06 +0800, Brad wrote in message
> > <184151f6-16e3-f59c-1d07-47394f30f4cc@???>:

> >> You can always compile it yourself. I've just checked and I'm still
> >> running a self-compiled v4 on my main box. Certainly in the v5.6.0
> >> code I just looked at there's an option to disable dbus.
> >>
> >> From memory I stopped upgrading when they migrated away from
> >> autoconf and make. The redhat-isms were just making it too hard to
> >> build on older stable debian-based systems, so I stuck with V4.
> >> These days it'd be easy enough to use the packaged versions I
> >> suppose.
> >>
> >> Brad
> >
> > ..any of you guys wanting to package what you have running?
> > To me, this sounds like a viable basis for the bare metal
> > hypervisor idea in the "[DNG] Devuan as a hypervisor?" thread.
> >

> Nope. I did it because I needed to if I wanted the bits "I needed"
> from libvirt on a Debian version that was pre-jessie. I still built
> with dbus, I just had to also build the right version of dbus.
>
> If I was starting from scratch now, I'd install Devuan Beowulf and
> apt-get install libvirt. I don't get hung up on dependencies and I'm
> too lazy to want to expunge dbus just because I don't understand it
> and I'm paranoid (I do and I'm not).

..starting from scratch, I agree. There's also those old fashion
types who froze their systems at Wheezy time to try wait out the
end of systemd, whom we might try to lure onboard here with a nice
upgrade path, my idea is/was set up a minimal mirror with Debian
Wheezy-minus-systemd as "Devuan Upgrade-From-Debian-Help v 0."

..some people may have software that e.g. depends on e.g. systemd that
they wanna keep, and my preferred best advice would be tell those people
to put such software in virtual machines or container type isolation
and host it on top of a Devuan hypervisor, but we're not there yet.

> I'm still running my self-compiled libvirt because I've progressively
> upgraded from Debian Wheezy

..dangit, you started precisely where we|Devuan _should_ have started.
Too lazy to document it too? ;oD

> (which is what I compiled it on) to Devuan
> Jessie->Ascii->Beowulf and it hasn't broken. Because it hasn't
> broken, I haven't fixed it. It still lives (with all its
> dependencies) in /usr/local/libvirt.

..maybe package that?

Scenarios always come in sets of three: