:: Re: [DNG] Devuan as a hypervisor?
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Rod Rodolico
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Devuan as a hypervisor?
We have been virtualizing machines, servers and workstations, for over a
decade. First on Debian, then Devuan.

My personal workstation is Devuan, and I have Windows 7 & 10, FreeBSD,
Devuan, and CentOS available as virtuals that I spool up as needed.

On our servers, we mainly virtualize Devuan servers;
dbs/web/mail/nextcloud/jitsi and even one database server (MySQL +
Postgres). We also have several Windows Server (2008r2, 2016 and 2019)
in production as virtuals.

Xen is historically good, but I've been having issues with it over the
past few years. The Windows PV drivers are not as available as they have
been in the past, and there have been some other issues. I tried some
other tools, notably Oracle Virtualbox, and they run fine, but I decided
I would not tie myself to them.

Instead, we are slowly moving to KVM, and actually are using libvirt
(from Redhat) to manage them. I have never been a big RedHat fan, but
they did good on this. It is a front end to Xen, KVM and maybe other
hypervisors, but you use a consistent set of commands to do things. It
also has a GUI if you want. I use it on my workstation, but we don't
install GUI's on our servers, so those are done via the cli. I think
there may even be a WebUI for it, but not sure.

One of the main reasons for going with KVM is the availability of PV
drivers for Windows. The difference between full virtualization and the
use of PV drivers is huge. About a 5-10 speedup (my personal guess).

Since we manage OS X machines also, I've thought about looking at the
legality of creating an OS X virtual. I understand it is fairly well
documented.

My notes on this are at kb.unixservertech.com. NOTE: these are my notes,
and as it says on the cover, if it makes your computer fall into a black
hole, it is not my fault. But, I try to put reference links at the
bottom of everything, so it may give you a start. It is notes, not
howto's or anything.

You can feel free to contact me off list if you decide to go this route
and need anything.

Rod