:: Re: [DNG] Missing syslog
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Antony Stone
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Új témák: [DNG] [OT] British vs American language
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Missing syslog
On Tuesday 27 July 2021 at 18:27:47, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> And, while I'm asking anyway, why no /var/log/mail* since 2013 either?

/var/log/mail* would be created by sendmail (and perhaps others), but the
default for Debian (and therefore Devuan) is Exim, which logs to
/var/log/exim4/*

So, I'm wondering whether either:

a) you were previously using sendmail, which generated the log files you see,
and then changed (perhaps unknowingly) to Exim, which logs somewhere else

or

b) this disk had content from some previous system which last got used in May
2013, and then some subsequent installation or upgrade, without wiping the
disk first, has resulted in the system you now have, which isn't logging to
those same files?

What are the ownership and permissions on:

/var
/var/log ?

Antony.

--
A few words to be cautious of between American and English:
- momentarily

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.