:: Re: [DNG] Very offtopic: 70's music…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Stephane Ascoet
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Very offtopic: 70's music, video platforms
Steve Litt <slitt@???> :

> Here are my favorite music decades, from most to least liked:

Hi, yes, it fits with what I guessed from your original post. For me it's:

> 1) 1950's
> 2) 1960's
> 3) 1970's
> 4) 1980's
> 5) 1990's
> 6) 2000's-2009

Notes:
-The size of the steps aren't the same each time. In fact the fourth
first ones are almost at the same level near paradise, 1990s are more
below 1980's(Everest high) and the last one is almost as low as hell is.
-I don't even mention 2010 and after since for me it's only noise, not
music. Below hell if possible!
-And yes, regarding another one mail, I like classical music too, but
just a little, too few to mention it.

> I liked 1990's and 1980's almost the same, but my love for 1990's
> Eurodance made the difference.

As for the taste question, we'll have trouble to agree since I think
that decadence started a lot from this style(even if, like I wrote
before, hearing some of them now reminds me my young years and then I
think that it wasn't so terrible in comparaison to what is called music
now).

> But 1975-spring 1979 was a vast wasteland of Disco, dragging down what
> otherwise could have been a great decade.

Well, the source of the (little) disagreement comes from the fact that
you rely on the things played on radio, at the contrary of me(1975-79 is
one of my favorite period for rock, it's when my favorite band started
as a pub-rock one).

> Guilty pleasure: I liked Kiss. And Abba too. And (yeah, I'm a hypocrite)
> KC and the Sunshine Band. And Heart and Fleetwood Mac. And Sweet. When
> our kids were little (in the very late 1990's), our family used to put
> Little Willy on the computer, crank it way up, and dance like nobody
> was looking. Every one of us did a 360 when that triple drumbeat ended
> the chorus.

I don't know at all half of all of those...

> Everyone forgets the early 1970's, I don't know why. Remember "Hold
> Your Head Up" by Argent? If you had the right album Grand Funk album,
> you could hear "Sin's a Good Man's Brother", which was designed
> specifically for situations I no longer find myself in.
>
> And don't forget the outstanding Pop music of the pre-disco 1970's:
> Maggie May, Just My Imagination, Signs, Brandy, I Can See Clearly Now,
> American Pie, Jazzman, and the best unremembered song of all time, the
> Southerland Brothers' You got Me Anyway.

All of this is more linked to funk and glam roots, it's not what I
prefer, but yes, they are worth to be mentioned!

> A few months ago I put together a playlist of the #1 songs from 1943 to
> 1971, and it was interesting. Based strictly on the #1 songs, 1952 was
> the worst year ever: It sounded like a funeral. 1955 was great, as were
> 1961-1963. Soon I'm going to write a program to take the top 20 songs

Very interesting! If you ever mind to publish this somewhere, I would be
glad to read it!

> It's true: The 1970's had some great music.
>
> But disco.

See my comment above about radio. I feel that, at least for radio format
I'm listening to, disco is like dance: shorts and old fashioned trends
that ruled at this times, but that nobody want to listen now, except to
laugh or remember our youth occasionally.

But for most people, the sentence above applies to what I like, for my
despair! And sadly, I can't hear anymore any radios except the ones I
talked about with links [in french at last], until they change or
disappear too :-(

> Oh Oh: "As of September 1st 2020, invidio.us has closed down. To see
> this content, please select another instance, or visit directly on
> YouTube."

You can use: http://invidious.fdn.fr
You can directly download Youtube links without going on it with:
-youtube-dl(sadly has got a lot of dependencies),
-youtube-dcl or something like this(need to be skilled in programming, I
don't use it)
-<https://fr.savefrom.net/11/>,
-4kvideodownloader (free as a beer but not libre, the most complete I
know but sometimes works bad)
-...

--
Friendly, Stephane Ascoet