:: Re: [DNG] Very offtopic: 70's music
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Very offtopic: 70's music

>Simon Hobson <linux@???> :
>>
>> I think it's a case of two things :
>>

>Hi, I agree with the two. Yes, recently I've heard selection of songs
>from the 1990s and told myself: "yeah I remember!!! well, there was
>some good songs in this time after all!"
>
>But I still maintain that 1970s are special. I'm not the best person
>to explain why, and it's not the place.

Here are my favorite music decades, from most to least liked:

1) 1990's
2) 1980's
3) 1960's
4) 1970's
5) 2000's
6) 1950's
7) 2010's

I liked 1990's and 1980's almost the same, but my love for 1990's
Eurodance made the difference.

> That's why I gave links. But
>just count the number of artists I listed: I'm not saying that
>everybody should like all of them(it's not the case for myself). But
>they are all recognized to have put a brick in music history. And so I
>can't let Steve say something a little like "there was mainly Disco in
>the 70s".

So true. From 1970-summer 1974, no Disco. From Spring 1979 on, with
Steve Dahl's Disco Demolition Night (I lived in Chicago), Disco was
relegated to a joke and we had great music to close out the decade.

But 1975-spring 1979 was a vast wasteland of Disco, dragging down what
otherwise could have been a great decade.

>And I forgot three main other bands of the decade(shame on me):

Doobie Brothers Meh
Chicago Meh
Supertramp Spectacular!

Guilty pleasure: I liked Kiss. And Abba too. And (yeah, I'm a hypocrite)
KC and the Sunshine Band. And Heart and Fleetwood Mac. And Sweet. When
our kids were little (in the very late 1990's), our family used to put
Little Willy on the computer, crank it way up, and dance like nobody
was looking. Every one of us did a 360 when that triple drumbeat ended
the chorus.

Everyone forgets the early 1970's, I don't know why. Remember "Hold
Your Head Up" by Argent? If you had the right album Grand Funk album,
you could hear "Sin's a Good Man's Brother", which was designed
specifically for situations I no longer find myself in.

And don't forget the outstanding Pop music of the pre-disco 1970's:
Maggie May, Just My Imagination, Signs, Brandy, I Can See Clearly Now,
American Pie, Jazzman, and the best unremembered song of all time, the
Southerland Brothers' You got Me Anyway.

A few months ago I put together a playlist of the #1 songs from 1943 to
1971, and it was interesting. Based strictly on the #1 songs, 1952 was
the worst year ever: It sounded like a funeral. 1955 was great, as were
1961-1963. Soon I'm going to write a program to take the top 20 songs
each week, and create a playlist for a string of years, such that the
playlist plays each top 20 song once, specifically, the week it first
reached its highest position on the charts. It's a job tailor made for
Python dicts.

It's true: The 1970's had some great music.

But disco.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Spring 2020 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive