:: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer document…
Top Pagina
Auteur: g4sra
Aan: dng@lists.dyne.org
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer documentation is now in its first draft
‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Wednesday, March 3, 2021 7:54 PM, tito via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Mar 2021 16:15:10 +0000
> g4sra via Dng dng@??? wrote:

<snip>

> > Your 'predictable' names name are being assigned by what ?
>

> By the kernel, I suppose as you can pass a kernel command line
> parameter with grub (net.ifnames=0 or net.ifnames=1)
> to switch between eth* and en* names.

Search under /lib/udev, you will find rules that post-boot process the kernel command line.
It is very common to pass configuration options to userspace via the kernel command line at boot.
The kernel simply ignores anything it doesn't understand.

> I was there, I did try hard, but I was not able to make ifrename
> work reliably in the case you want to rename and reorder
> the interfaces (that is change the name and the number)
> because you change it one by one but the names you want
> are already in use by other interfaces that are up.

The key is to be imaginative with the naming, using standard network device names is not recommended an will cause issues if anything is hotplugged.
And to demonstrate how imaginative I am and always practise what I preach, in one router I use the following.

wan0 // this should actually be man0 for metropolitan area network, but I didn't like 'man' and it reaches the wide area network eventually anyway.
lan0 // local area network interface
wlan0 // wireless local area network access point interface

In another I prefixed 'mb' for devices on the motherboard and 'ex' for an external USB ethernet adapter.
I never did check to see if they potentially conflict as it just worked fist time trying.

mbeth0
mbeth1
exeth0

In my top secret highly confidential system (which I would have to Men In Black neuralise you if I revealed) I rename so that it makes my firewall rules easy to read.