:: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer document…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Ralph Ronnquist
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] My Qemu LAN-peer documentation is now in its first draft
On 03/03 01:06, Steve Litt wrote:

> Am I hearing correctly when I think you two are saying I can make
> multiple network devices have determinate names (even if I don't select
> those names) by doing something with their MAC addresses? If so, how do
> I do it?

Since you do networking setup via a script you can do this at the top
of that script before the interfaces are configured. Something like
the following:
--------------------
for IF in $(ls /sys/class/net) ; do
    case "$(ip link show $IF | awk '$1=="link/ether" {print $2;}')" in
        4a:4a:8d:dc:d4:bf)
        ip link set name somewhatspecial
        ;;
    06:22:66:ff:5a:e2)
        ip link set name veryspecial
        ;;
    esac
done
--------------------
where you choose your own MAC addresses as case patterns and your own
names instead of the ${blah}special .. anything unused less than 16
7-bit ascii is fine.

That loop only works for unconfigured, "down" interfaces. In
particular, when interfaces are configured during boot, then the
renaming should occur before that configuration.

If configuration is via hotplug handling than the hotplug handling
would provide the enumeration, and one only need have to define the
recognition-to-action "rules" and make sure they are used before
confguration.

Ralph.