:: Re: [DNG] Synaptics Touchpad Fn+F9
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Synaptics Touchpad Fn+F9
On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 08:45:22AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 22:40:36 +0100
> Florian Zieboll via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> > Supposing that "somewhere in xorg" means "under '/etc/X11/' or under
> > '/usr/share/X11/'", a configuration change definitely would not
> > endure booting into another OS; under '/proc/' it wouldn't even
> > survive a reboot (would it even persist over a runlevel change
> > there?!).
>
> Hi Florian,
>
> I meant stored in memory by xorg. I have no knowledge one way or
> another about boot-to-boot persistence of touchpad settings. My main
> point was a practical one: Whatever your touchpad's settings are, you
> can toggle it on and off with my script.
>

> > The only possibility (which is accessible from within Linux and does
> > not require a "stateful" touchpad) coming to my mind to make such a
> > configuration persistent over a reboot AND across different OSes,
> > might be under '/sys/firmware/efi/' - which would presume a UEFI
> > system.
> >
> > I am seriously curious about more opinions on this!
>
> I can tell.
>
> Like I said, I have no knowledge about boot-to-boot persistence, but if
> I were just taking wild guesses, I'd guess that the touchpad itself has
> some non-volatile RAM to store its settings, and the OS, when it boots,
> reads those settings.
>
> Keep in mind I've never noticed boot-to-boot persistence. In fact, if I
> remember correctly, my laptops have always booted up to a fully
> functional touchpad, which I had to suppress most of the time with my
> shellscript.

I've had boot-to-boot persistence of a different setting -- for my wifi
device. Ony it wasn't the device with the memory, it was the BIOS. The
effect was very similar, though.

When I entered an area where wifi was forbidden I turned off my laptop's
wifi using my OS's tool for doing so.

The next time I turned on my laptop I couldn't turn it on again with
that tool.

It turned out that my OS had turned off the wifi by changing a
BIOS-level setting, and when I turned it on the bios told the OS there
was no such device when it tried to turn it on again.

Frustrating until I figured out I had to use the BIOS to turn it on
again.

-- hendrik