Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Redhat EEEs CentOS?
On Thu, 10 Dec 2020 23:47:39 -0800
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting vmlinux (vmlinux@???):
>
> > Embrace, Extend, Extinguish? Shocking but not surprising. Even more
> > reason for Devuan to exist.
> >
> > https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/12/centos-shifts-from-red-hat-unbranded-to-red-hat-beta/

Plenty of blood being spilled over there. Think there are a couple of
the original CentOS devs who I remember proudly being given their Red
Hats who probably now feel a dagger sticking out their back.

This caught the eye.

http://crunchtools.com/before-you-get-mad-about-the-centos-stream-change-think-about/

Various interesting comments:

http://crunchtools.com/before-you-get-mad-about-the-centos-stream-change-think-about/#comment-647540

But as someone pointed out RH revenue in 2018 was like $3.4 billion

So the reasoning is far from clear cut - it isn't really all about cash
in the strictest sense (it will be there somewhere clearly).

Anyone see the dark hand of IBM being waved in the background? Want
a more cutting edge rapid release version for their Cloud stuff?

Fedora -> CentOS -> RH ?

"it’s not about making money, it’s about out growing your competitors"
(and dumping a few 'free loaders' I guess)

You need to be pushing the curve in that case. CentOS did not fit.

I have to say personally I was surprised CentOS agreed to be 'bought
out' in the first place, and then always expected this day would come.
That air of inevitability.

Hey ho.