:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Top Pagina
Auteur: Antony Stone
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
On Sunday 13 December 2020 at 01:09:18, Ralph Ronnquist via Dng wrote:

> Well, the kernel modules makes the first naming, and assigns them as
> eth0, eth1, eth2. That happens before udev starts.
>
> The kernel refuses any attempt to name an interface to, say, eth0 if
> that name is taken.
>
> Those "facts" have been in effect since last millenium, so whatever
> happened for you before would have happened within the eclipse of
> those "facts".

So... what's the correct way, in a current Devuan release, to ensure that each
ethernet interface gets the name you want it to have, based on its MAC address
(which, as far as I know, is the only uniquely identifiable thing about an
interface, wherever it happens to be found, and in whatever order it gets
identified)?

Antony.

--
Don't procrastinate - put it off until tomorrow.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.