:: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Ethernet names revisited
On 13/12 00:40, Antony Stone wrote:
> > If it worked for you previously then, a) there would have been rules
> > for double renaming,
>
> Please point me at where I should find these.
>
> I only know that /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules was the
> *only* file I needed to edit if I wanted to rearrange the naming of
> the interfaces under Jessie or earlier.

Well, the kernel modules makes the first naming, and assigns them as
eth0, eth1, eth2. That happens before udev starts.

The kernel refuses any attempt to name an interface to, say, eth0 if
that name is taken.

Those "facts" have been in effect since last millenium, so whatever
happened for you before would have happened within the eclipse of
those "facts".

> > and b) any network management would have kicked
> > in late enough to let name fiddling happen before bringing up the
> > interfaces. As you know, one of the joys with parallel boot is the
> > random effects of things happening in parallel.
>
> I thought "parallel boot" was one of the evils that systemd was designed to
> bring in. In what way does Devuan do "parallel boot"?

afact 1) udev processes events (somewhat) in parallel, and 2) the
post-pivot boot runs init scripts in as much parallelism as is allowed
with respect to their declared dependencies. That latter thing is
something newish (10 years?) but current default.

> > The default installation (unfortunately?) have wicd as player to
> > provide networking randomness, but network-manager is good at it too.
>
> I have neither of those installed on the machines in question.

That's good. Then also avoid "allow-hotplug" declarations as otherwise
udev will bring up interfaces in the pre-pivot boot. I think that
should be enough for using ifrename. (It does come with the
disadvantage of needing manual touch after plugging in cables)