:: [DNG] cups in ceres
Página Inicial
Autor: Le Loft
Para: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assunto: [DNG] cups in ceres
Hello,

I'm getting a circular problem upgrading cups in ceres. I've been
tackling this for a week or so. I need two root terminals open: one
to apt-get and the other to top + kill apt-get and dpkg. The sequence
goes like this:

[xterm1]#apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
all goes well (apart from the nvidea-persistentd under discussion)
... then comes the problem

Setting up printer-driver-cups-pdf (3.0.1-6) ...
Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
    [apt-get freezes]

[xterm2]# top
    #kill PID of apt-get
    #apt-get install -f
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock. It is held by process [PID]
(dpkg)
N: Be aware that removing the lock file is not a solution and
may break your system.
E: Unable to lock the administration directory
(/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
    # kill PID of dpkg

[xterm1] # Terminated
     # empty prompt

[xterm2} # apt-get install -f
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to
correct the problem.
     #dpkg --configure -a

...all goes well until

[xterm2]  #Setting up printer-driver-cups-pdf (3.0.1-6) ...
Reloading Common Unix Printing System: cupsd.
    [dpkg freezes]
    [but a simple Ctrl+C allows it to proceed]
^Cdpkg: error processing package printer-driver-cups-pdf (--configure):
 installed printer-driver-cups-pdf package post-installation script
 subprocess was interrupted

and so on.

I've tried to apt-get remove --purge printer-driver-cups-pdf but it
removes it and then freezes immediately after, presumably on the
post-installation script.

The only way I've been able to get this far (it used to freeze
at reloading cupsd) was by using the linux-brprinter-installer script
from brother which crashes through everything with a dpkg -f option.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

fraser