:: [DNG] Beowulf upgrade from Ubuntu
Pàgina inicial
Autor: kdibble
A: dng
Assumpte: [DNG] Beowulf upgrade from Ubuntu
Beowulf install.

Hardware:Thinkstation c30-1095, 2xe5-2680, 56GB ram, 2 500 GB WDC disks (1 with win 10 pro, 1 with /home and swap) 120gb adata ssd, 500 gb nvme adata on 4x pcie card, Quadro 2000D video card, two monitors.

Upgrading from ubuntu 18.04 (done with systemd, snap, etc).

1) Thanks for all the work.

2) Using DVD iso on usb stick in order to install LXQt at install time.

3) Manual partition, retaining /home and swap (/dev/sdc), / on 120 ssd (/dev/sda), Win10 Pro on /dev/sdb/. /var/lib/postgresql on /dev/nvme0n1p1.

Postgresql will be installed after everything else is running.

4) Install goes smoothly until grub. Grub says that it doesn't see any

other operating systems and recommends install onto partition as opposed to native device (dev/sda1 vs dev/sda), as it could clobber any other os that it doesnt see.

I go with the recommendation so as not to have to fix a Windows install.

Remove usb stick, reboot and go directly to grub rescue, which doesnt seem to respond to anything.

Reinsert usb stick and reboot, go to repair or rescue (dont remember name),

eventually get to grub, install it on /dev/sda, exit installer reboot and voila.., grub now shows devuan and Win10, both work, and I get to the devuan login screen.

5) Started adding a couple packages and apt asked for cdrom. I assumed it wanted usb stick, mounted it and nope, it wants a cdrom. Go in and delete

cdrom from apt sources and we are running again.

6) Desktop came up mostly fine, both monitors recognized and placed correctly. Trash can icon has no empty trash menu item !?. The trash can in pcmanfm does though. Start fixing my custom menu items for various machines that I log into and even though the .desktop files are changed, the menu items don't change and neither does the behaviour of the menu items. Some caching problem? Previous lxde installations have caught the changes immediately.

After changing the background from basic black the icons disappeared. I got the icons back by turning them on in pcmanfm, but the menus for the items are different than they were. Is it possible that two different things (pcmanfm and ?) are attempting to be in charge of desktop icons?

Strange power management messages, 53% battery, etc. I am not on a laptop.

Remove the power management applet from the system tray and that keeps it from bothering me.

On to setting up the network. Having never used connman before there are some unfamiliarities. It assigned the local gateway address to the ntp server. Put in a real ntp server, it accepts it, but doesn't delete the local gateway address. Find the underlying file and it has the real ntp address only. How it is retaining the now second, address is beyond me.

ConnmanUI has massive space for entering things like ntp and dns server.

It leads on to believe it is one entry to a line. Couldn't get multiple DNS servers to show until I just entered a comma seperated list. The large amount of whitespace (or grayspace) for ntp and dns was misleading to me.

Lots of searching and reading about this issue dating back 5 years or so, talk of the -profile option which didn't seem to want to work with a saved .ini file and still isn't documented. Finally get a big hammer and use X11 geometry to get correct terminal window sizes. Yes, I know that it remembers the last size, but just because I wanted to check CPU usage of all 32 cores in one terminal window, doesn't mean I want all terminal windows to be that size when they are opened.

Everytime I login, I get a message about not being able to register Ctrl-Alt-D. A search leads me to believe that problem has been there a while.

Hope this information helps.

GREAT job people!

Ken