:: Re: [DNG] Mixing different init ben…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Mixing different init benefits: was: without-systemd.org not working
On Mon, 25 May 2020 10:08:17 -0700
Ian Zimmerman <itz@???> wrote:

> On 2020-05-21 14:09, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > * Busybox init
> > * Epoch
> > * OpenRC
> > * Runit
> > * s6 (plus s6-rc)
> > * Suckess init plus [daemontools | runit | s6]
> > * systemd
> > * sysvinit
>
> * GNU Shepherd ?
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/shepherd/

The preceding looks like an extremely capable init system that will
handle almost any situation, assuming the admin has the skill to make
it so. It seems to enable one to do tons of things that runit doesn't
facilitate.

On the other hand, GNU Shepherd makes me realize how easy runit is to
administer. I can do it in my sleep.

If anyone does a Jitsi presentation on GNU Shepherd, I'd *really* like
to be in the audience. This looks potentially like a very high quality
init, probably for the kind of person with lots of tricky daemons to
administer.

Thanks for pointing out Shepherd.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist