:: Re: [DNG] supported ways to control…
Góra strony
Autor: terryc
Dla: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] supported ways to control user access to audio/video devices
On Mon, 25 May 2020 13:31:49 +0000
dal <dal@???> wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> A round of searching and reading did not give me any usable
> explanation of Subj on Devuan.
>
> More specifically, static assignment of users to the "audio"/"video"
> groups is not applicable (on shared, remotely accessible computers).
>
> It looks like ConsoleKit used to be the answer in Debian,
> but in my testing on Beowulf the consolekit package is not compatible
> with any desktop environment besides xfce.
>
> Is this an inherent limitation somewhere, a packaging bug
> or otherwise a misunderstanding on my part?
>
> Regards,
> /D

My understanding is that it is a inherent limitation of *nix.
Based on the permissions of a user are defined on login and can
not be changed unless the use logs in again in after they gain the
desired permission(s) and thus access to devices and which they can
only do if they are already defined as a user on that particular system.

Depending on your particular needs, the simple way around this is to
define each user on all systems and the user can then ssh, or
whatever and run the application. As our SOHO is small, this is what
we do, although I'm the only one sometimes inclined to ssh;aplay
test.wav or such to determine a user problem.