:: Re: [DNG] Beowulf, and Apparmor's e…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: 'smee
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Beowulf, and Apparmor's effect on bind9
On Sat, 2020-05-23 at 19:54 +0100, Jim Jackson wrote:
> Generally, why does apparmor get installed on a dist-upgrade, when
> it
> wasn't there initially? It isn't as if it's a new "thing".

That's a good question.

> I got it
> on my ascii -> beowulf upgrade, and removed it.

That was the first thing I did, after looking at the logs, to determine
if apparmor was the problem, after monkeying around with permissions to
no avail. Then I looked up the apparmor message and came up with the
bug (and familiarized myself with apparmor since this was the first
time it's gotten in my way).

It *seems* like a good security tool, but I certainly don't know enough
yet to make a determination. n this case I decided to trust the devuan
architects/devs that it was a good security enhancement I reinstalled
it and tried the workaround mentioned in the bug report. I'm sure I
should look into it deeper though, I'm sure I will.

> Why is it the shiny-blingy stuff is so crap?

I use xfce for simplicity sake with the same idea. The shinier and
better polished, the more likely to be buggy and/or entail a much
larger attack surface. I'm sure it gets simpler/more secure than xfce
but I'm still learning :) and that reminds me of a discussion on this
list not too long ago about desktops.

> Any recommendations for a better panel?

If you weren't on the list about 6 months ago, there was some
wonderfully enlightening discussion about de's and wm's that long ago
or more. I can find the exact dates if you want so you can find it in
the archives.