:: [DNG] LILO Framebuffer and X screen…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Marc Shapiro
Aan: dng
Nieuwe Onderwerpen: Re: [DNG] LILO Framebuffer and X screen resolution (SOLVED)
Onderwerp: [DNG] LILO Framebuffer and X screen resolution
I have been using Debian for the last 20+ years.  I don't like systemd
and that has kept me on Stretch, where I can still use SysV as init.  I
have tried several times to upgrade to Buster without SysV, but have had
no luck.  So here I am at Devuan.

I installed Ascii on a separate set of partitions, so I have the ability
to keep using my Debian Stretch install until I get Ascii running the
way I want it to.  I had some trouble with the install, but I got past
that.  I do, however, have some issues that I could use some help with.

My screen resolution is very low.

Under Stretch, when I run xrandr, I get about a dozen resolutions, up to
1920x1080.  Since I have a 23" monitor, I use the highest resolution
possible.  Unfortunately, under Ascii, I get a max resolution of
1280x1024, which doesn't even fit the screen proportions.

The output from lspci is:

lspci -v | grep VGA
    Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency
64, NUMA node 0
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])

According to the MATE Control Center, my monitor is "Unknown", under
Debian Stretch it correctly identifies my Samsung monitor.

If I set my video mode to 0x317 in LILO (as my Debian config had) that
is even worse.  Then I get the framebuffer while I am in the console,
which looks a lot better, but my X screen resolution is also limited to
1024x768.  (Under Debian, my X screen resolution was not tied to the
framebuffer resolution.)  The highest resolution that I can set the
framebuffer to seems to be 1400x1050.  This is better, but still not
what my video card/monitor combination is capable of.

Have others been having these issues?  Any ideas on how to get my full
screen resolution in X will be greatly appreciated.  I am looking
forward to working in an OS that is guaranteed not to slip systemd in on me.

Marc Shapiro