:: Re: [DNG] discord is spyware
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: tom
To: dng
Alte Treads: Re: [DNG] Is anybody using Discord for virtual get-togethers in Devuan?
Betreff: Re: [DNG] discord is spyware
On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 14:55:21 +1000
onefang <onefang_devuan@???> wrote:

> On 2020-03-21 15:44:10, terryc wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 08:38:32 -0400
> > Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
> >
> > > Is anybody using Discord in Devuan for virtual get-togethers?
> >
> > Yes, in the sense that I can join such for various groups like
> > games, etc where someone else has paid for the server.
> >
> > Best I've managed is to follow the text chat and swap between
> > discussion groups on "the server" and occasionally I manage to
> > receive audio. but not send. Nor have I ever received a video feed,
> > but I believe that requires a subscription
> >
> > I do not know whether this depends on having pulse audio, but I
> > only use alsa.
> >
> > I do not particularly like Discord as it doesn't turn off/exi and I
> > have to hunt down and kill the daemon and some of he severs tend to
> > use pesterpost to continually send messages about "what you
> > missed". Not my scene.
> >
> > Usenet & IRC serves me fine, when I want it.
> >
> > Although I was looking last night for linux based
> > "conference/meeting software that I might be able to run to host
> > free local discussions/"virtual meetings" for various local
> > community groups shut down by Sars-cov2/covid-19 virus, but the few
> > were all $$$$.
>
> There are things like Jitsi (used by the Devuan developers), OpenSim
> (used by me), or plain old Jabber / XMPP (also used by me) if you only
> need text. Jitsi is a combination of video and text, though I think
> the text bit is handled be the Prosody Jabber / XMPP server. OpenSim
> is a 3d virtual world, I have worked for a company that offers
> business meeting services using it and VR (I added the VR bit).

No, I do not use Discord. Discord is spyware
https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html and the company
behind it previously called OpenFeint and Hammer & Chisel has been
under a class action lawsuit in the state of California for
various violations of consumer privacy, fraud, and abuse.

If you browse archive.org you can find discord's old website and with
the privacy link if you click it directs you here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150215003920/http://hammerandchisel.com/privacy/

>Disclosure of Your Personal Information
>In connection with any merger or sale of Hammer & Chisel assets, or a
>financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to
>another company
>Please note that we may share aggregate or anonymous information about
>you with advertisers, publishers, business partners, sponsors, and
>other third parties.

>We may feature advertisements on our Service served by third parties.
>These advertisers may collect and use information about your visits to
>our Service in order to provide advertisements about goods and services
>of interest to you.

I use the Open Source Mumble and XMPP with the psi-plus client. Maybe
one day Jingle support will mature in psi-plus and I could use that,
but until then Mumble works pretty good. In fact I'd even call it
studio quality with the right microphone and signal processing
combination. I also hear Jitsi and SIP is good for videocalls.
/ We don't claim Interactive EasyFlow is \
| good for anything -- if you think it    |
| is, great, but it's up to you to        |
| decide. If Interactive EasyFlow doesn't |
| work: tough. If you lose a million      |
| because Interactive EasyFlow messes up, |
| it's you that's out the million, not    |
| us. If you don't like this disclaimer:  |
| tough. We reserve the right to do the   |
| absolute minimum provided by law, up to |
| and including nothing.                  |
| This is basically the same disclaimer   |
| that comes with all software packages,  |
| but ours is in plain English and theirs |
| is in legalese.                         |
| We didn't really want to include any    |
| disclaimer at all, but our lawyers      |
| insisted. We tried to ignore them but   |
| they threatened us with the attack      |
| shark at which point we relented.       |
| -- Haven Tree Software Limited,         |

\ "Interactive EasyFlow"                  /
\
 \
   /\   /\