:: Re: [DNG] What can even possibly go…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: John Morris
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] What can even possibly go wrong?
On Thu, 2020-03-12 at 20:21 +0000, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Dan Purgert <dan@???> wrote:
>
> > It's certainly useful in a "campus" environment, where you're quite
> > likely at a different computer all the time (i.e. grabbing whatever
> > is
> > free in the computer lab to print your final paper).
>
> Isn't the answer there to mount your home dir off it's server on
> whatever machine you are using ? Something perfectly doable since ...
> err ... long before I ever got involved with any unix[like] system.

Yeah, we have had NFS homes here for literally decades. It is great.
Here at a small rural public library we run a split network for staff
and patrons. Both have an NFS server and mount /home/${USER} from it.
All are imaged from one master so updates are also automatic. Anyone
can log onto any machine on the same side of the network and it just
works. If a machine fails we throw a spare on the desk and it just
works.

So of course it has to be reimagined.