:: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Fe…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Plasma
To: devuan-dev
Oggetto: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Feb. 27, 2020
And now for your kind attention, the devuan-dev meet notes for
Thursday, February 27th, 2020.

plasma41

# Devuan meet Feb. 27, 2020 @20:30 UTC

Pad is here:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/2/code/edit/u37rbbex1e+62zU-tFhfMn3J/

Meet here: https://vdc.dyne.org/devuan
   * Please post notes prior to the meet.
   * Please add your name as 'Present' below when you get to the
     meet.
   * When adding a comment in someone else's notes, please
     pre-pend your name like this: (whoever) whatever . . .

Present: rrq, LeePen, fsmithred, plasma41, golinux

## Old Business

## Old Actions
- Is popcon migration completed?

(LeePen) Yes. DNS changed and in production. There are a couple of
glitches in the stats over the migration period that I will try to
iron out manually.

## New Business
- (gl)What to do with the wiki?  We need a wiki wisperer!
  - (plasma) Leave link to wiki off of the ISO docs. If in the future we
    manage to get the wiki into a good state, we can add a link to it on
    the website.
- (gl)LXDE?
  - (fsr) it's only in the DVD, and doesn't show in tasksel - we removed
    it for ascii release.
- (fsr) Attempts to add lxde to std system are thwarted by
  dependency hell.

install lxde fails d/t not going to install lxde-core and lxpolkit

install lxde lxde-core lxpolkit fails d/t policykit-1 not going to be
installed. et. cetera.

If I install consolekit first, then installing lxde fails again.

If I install elogind first, lxde will install (600+ packages)
including consolekit and associated libraries.

  - (LeePen) I have just tried this. On an existing elogind based
    beowulf VM ```apt-get install lxde policykit-1``` guides apt to find
    a reasonably sane solution (150+ new packages). Alternatively
    ```apt install lxde libpolkit-backend-consolekit-1-0``` converts to
    a consolekit based solution (168 new packages).

    I think the reason why apt finds this quite so awkward is because of
    lxsession-logout which recommends consolekit | systemd. (That seems
    very odd! Debian bug [#952679](https://bugs.debian.org/952679)
    submitted)

    However, because this is a recommends dependency problem,
    ```apt install --no-install-recommends lxde``` seems to work
    around it.

  - (fsr-update) I installed elogind first. Then I was able to install
    lxde. I got the full desktop, elogind was replaced with consolekit.
    Everything works: reboot/shutdown, mount usb as user,
    synaptic-pkexec.

- (gl) Revised rewrite:

Installation images

These are currently the ways of getting installation images. Please use
mirrors or torrents where possible.

    Directly from the Devuan release archive
    From mirrors that may be closer to you
    Via torrent for the stable releases

Choose from the following installation options to suit your needs:

1. The `_netinstall.iso` (~300 M) installs a minimal base system then
downloads additional packages from the Devuan repositories during the
installation process.

2. The `_server.iso` (<670 MB) is the first of a 4 CD set that allows
for a complete off-line server installation. The remaining CDs
provide several desktop options and a limited selection of
additional software:

   CD2: Xfce (installable from tasksel) and LXDE.
   CD3: MATE (installable from tasksel) and Openbox window manager.
   CD4: Cinnamon (installable from tasksel) but
        requires cd2 and cd3 to install.

3. Use the `_-desktop.iso` (DVD <4 GB) if there is no network available
and/or a need for multiple offline installations. The image contains
several desktop choices and additional software options. LXQt and KDE
are only available on DVD.

Please note that a graphical install option is no longer available due
to size constraints.

### rrq
- ISO suite ready for final doc polish, possible release early next
week. The suite consists of 3 installer ISOs with different amounts of
package pool and 3 pool-only ISOs to offer a few different offline
installation models; times 2 for the two architecturs (amd64
and i386).

    a) "netinstall" which has installer and a pool of firmware only
    b) "server" which offers a the "server tasks" only
    c) "desktop" which offers "all" tasks (desktop as well as
       localisation)
    d) "cd2" which offers task-xfce-desktop on top of "server"
    e) "cd3" which offers task-mate-desktop on top of "server"
    f) "cd4" which offers task-connamon-desktop on top
       of "server"+"cd2"+"cd3"

Then, cd2 also includes task-lxde-desktop, which however is not
presented as installation option, and cd3 also includes openbox
without presenting it.

Note: offline installation seems to require a retry of the software
install step, seemingly due to a problem of premature initramfs
update. It does however work nicely upon the repeat of/from the
software selection step.

The installer ISOs are built with the
ralph.ronnquist/devuan-installer-iso project using two qemu for i386
and amd64 building.

    git@???:ralph.ronnquist/devuan-installer-iso.git

One minor quirk is that "netinstall" brings up a console encoding
choice dialog that is not coming up with "server" or "desktop". I
cannot work out why.

### LeePen

#### ID=debian in /etc/os-release

- I realise this was consciously changed in September 2019. However,
yeti has made the reasonable point on #devuan-dev that ID=debian and
VERSION=3 makes us look like Woody!

Is ID=debian really the correct choice? Is there another way to get
uefi boot to work?

- (fsr) Yes, but I don't know how we would implement it:

grub-install --bootloader-id=debian

Possibly removing grub-efi-amd64-signed and just using the unsigned is
also a solution. I can't really remember, but I think I can test
that now.

Confirmed: unsigned grub lets me use any bootloader name.

- (yeti) If `debian` is unavoidable there, please set the version to
`10` too. So it won't look like Woody if you ask `lsb_release -sir`.
I think we can live with it looking like `debian 10` pretty well.

<spock-voice> After all Beowulf indeed is round about 99.72268¾%
debian 10. </spock-voice>

### plasma41
- A reminder to Devuan people in the US: Next week's meeting will be at
the same time, but week after next the meeting will be an hour later
local time due to Daylight Savings Time.

## New Actions