:: Re: [DNG] Which desktop manager?
Top Pagina
Auteur: Rick Moen
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Which desktop manager?
Quoting Stephane Ascoet via Dng (dng@???):

> Dear Rick, I'm not sure that such a deprecated Website is a good
> advice. And I3, that a lot of geeks find to be the best actual WM,
> isn't on it.

I do _not_ at all agree that xwinman.org should be deemed 'deprecated'.
It's easily the best of its type, and has for long decades been highly
valuable for giving a representative cross-section of what various
windows managers and DEs tend to look like _and_ also a fairly
reasonable explanation of what those things are and how they differ --
documenting these things for 112 window managers and 20 DEs.

If you would like to convince me it should be regarded as 'deprecated',
the first step you should logically take is to suggest a superior
replacement. Or replicate Matt Chapman's work elsewhere and do better
-- which I notice neither you nor anyone else is volunteering to do.
(One egrettable aspect of Matt's site is that his copyright notice
implies proprietary terms for the site contents, and doesn't authorise
site forks. IMO, we of the open source community need to keep
remembering our hard-earned lessons about that.)

At the same time it's true thatt any given time, there are plenty of
window managers that are sadly omitted from the roster, and that is indeed
disappointing. At one point a few years ago, I tried to get a response
from Matt about why he hadn't merged in a new draft page I submitted, to
add coverage about a WM. I didn't hear back. I may soon double back
and try again.