:: Re: [DNG] ..the D in Systemd is for…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Didier Kryn
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] ..the D in Systemd is for Directories: Poettering says his creation will phone /home in future ... albeit with broken SSH login
Le 27/09/2019 à 00:25, Steve Litt a écrit :
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 12:59:28 +0200
> "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp"<dr.klepp@???> wrote:
>
>> Anno domini 2019 Thu, 26 Sep 10:13:56 +0200
>> Arnt Karlsen scripsit:
>>> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/09/25/systemd_inventor_home_directories/
>>>
>> "those who do not understand Unix have to reinvet it poorly"
>>
> Show of hands: Who ever perceived a problem with using /etc/passwd,
> /etc/shadow, and /etc/group? They just worked .

    Imagine a computer with no user, just root, and an empty /home
directory. You plug in your USB disk and, automatically, your disk is
mounted under /home /and you become a user of this laptop/ - no need to
have root priviledge and enter your name and password in the database.
There's nothing precious on the computer, except the contents of /your/
disk.

    I would consider this a nice feature. I simply don't want it to be
managed by poetterware, and even less by systemd.

    Didier