:: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Pavel Machek
A: Tony Lindgren
CC: Merlijn Wajer, maemo-leste, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Sebastian Reichel
Assumpte: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 in 5.3-rc1, development boards
Hi!

> > > Just checking: is the "hacked ofonod" still the way to try out the modem
> > > on this kernel, or is regular ofono OK?
> >
> > Regular ofono is not a way to go :-(.
> >
> > It may be easiest to start with minicom.. and enter AT commands
> > manually.
>
> Doing voice calls with just direct AT commands would be trivial :)
> It can be done with just:
>
> $ printf "ATD%s,0\r" "${phone_number}" > /dev/motmdm1
> $ printf "ATH\r" > /dev/motmdm1

> SMS requires some library to deal with the PDU encoding and
> decoding,

Well, you can use ttyUSB4. Standard AT commands work there (not
looks-familiar-but-its-different versions on motmdm), and it can
handle SMS text mode, too, so you can send and read SMSes manually
without PDU encoding/decoding. unicsy_demo does that in -a mode. (Not
a way to go, ttyUSB4 eats power, and you really want PDU for delivery
reports etc).

> but other than that handling SMS directly would be trivial too. I was
> only able to find ruby pdu_tools to deal with that properly. If there
> are other (working) alternatives let me know too.
>
> Also direct SIM card access later on probably would need some tools
> too, I guess gnokii or some older tools could be somewhat usable.
>
> We do have ofono provide all these, at least I'm not aware of any
> other usable alternative tools. It's just that adding support to
> ofono for the /dev/motmdm* ports sucks :(

Yes, if you want to do advanced stuff, ofono is the way to
go. But... I have not yet figured out how to receive an SMS on
/dev/motmdm. That's not ofono problem, that's "I don't know how to do
it problem".

> If we want to search for alternatives, how about direct AT access
> via /dev/motmdm1 for voice calls, and then let modemmanager handle
> data and sim card over usb via qmi? Not sure what we should do with
> SMS in that case though unless there's some decent library for PDU..

ofono is the way to go... but we still need to figure out how to
receive an SMS over motmdmX.

                                    Pavel