:: Re: [DNG] semantic of sizeof operat…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] semantic of sizeof operator in C
Le 12/06/2019 à 16:29, Irrwahn a écrit :
>> More precisely, sizeof(foo) is the spacing of consecutive elements of type foo.
>>
>> -- hendrik
> Thank you Hendrik, that is indeed very aptly phrased!
>
> Just for the sake of completeness, the actual language definition
> takes the usual wordy but precise approach in Standardese:
>
> ISO/IEC 9899:2011
> | 6.5.3.4 The sizeof and _Alignof operators
> | [...]
> | 2 The sizeof operator yields the size (in bytes) of its operand,
> | which may be an expression or the parenthesized name of a type.
> | The size is determined from the type of the operand. The result
> | is an integer. If the type of the operand is a variable length
> | array type, the operand is evaluated; otherwise, the operand is
> | not evaluated and the result is an integer constant.
> | [...]
> | 4 When sizeof is applied to an operand that has type char, unsigned
> | char, or signed char, (or a qualified version thereof) the result
> | is 1. When applied to an operand that has array type, the result is
> | the total number of bytes in the array. When applied to an operand
> | that has structure or union type, the result is the total number of
> | bytes in such an object, including internal and trailing padding.

    Thanks guys for the neat clarification, in particular that the
stucts and unions shall actualy comprise trailing padding bytes when
required by alignment. BTW I didn't know of the _Alignof operator. And,
sure, for VLAs, the size it evaluated at run time. I'm a big fan of VLAs
for dynamic allocation in the stack.

        Didier