:: [DNG] User services
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Martin Steigerwald
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Καινούρια Θέματα: Re: [DNG] User services (UPDATE 1)
Αντικείμενο: [DNG] User services
Hi!

Do you remember the days where people believed in rough consensus and
running code? :) It was before my time here on Earth, but whatever…

tada… welcome to user services:

https://git.devuan.org/WIP-init/user-services/blob/master/README.md

% userservice list
evolution-addressbook-factory
evolution-calendar-factory
evolution-source-registry
evolution-user-prompter
pulseaudio
redshift

% userservice enable evolution-user-prompter

% ps aux | grep "[e]volution"
martin   10495  0.0  0.0   2156   744 ?        S    21:01   0:00 runsv evolution-user-prompter
martin   10497  4.4  0.3 443308 53076 ?        Sl   21:01   0:00 /usr/lib/evolution/evolution-user-prompter

% userservice enabled
evolution-user-prompter
pulseaudio
redshift

% userservice disable evolution-user-prompter
% ps aux | grep "[e]volution"

% userservice enabled
pulseaudio
redshift

And now feel free already to contribute your own services. :)

I welcome merge requests.

There are quite some ideas on how to improve this initial proof of concept:
- Make it work out of the box with .xprofile (or how that is called).
/me looking to Evilham now :)
- Make it work with other desktop environments out of the box
- Make it handle groups of services in a clean and simple way
- Make it work with s6 alternatively (may just need replacing runsvdir)
- And of course add more services, …
- including any of those relevant in /usr/lib/systemd/user/
- Putting it into a package. I am willing to package it at a later point
in time.

When discussing this, please make sure doing so constructively.

Thanks a lot to Evilham for coming up with the idea to use runit for user
services and for providing the initial service directories for the four
services to make Evolution work.

Now let's make more out of this by the power of together…

and of course enjoy using it.

Thanks.
--
Martin