:: [DNG] problems upgrading from ascii…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Betreff: [DNG] problems upgrading from ascii to beowulf
I've done the upgrade, and I'm posting this here so as to have the
problems on the record. Over the ast month I haven't been able to post
any of this properly (I've been seriously ill) and I'm afraid it will
slip further if I wait until I can produce a full and perfect report.

(1) backspace stopped working when using mutt (on another machine)
over ssh from a QTerminal

I am using lxqt, by the way, on a 64-bit intel machine (AMD64).

Mutt, my mail reader, runs on another Devuan-based machine (still
running ascii). I connect over an ssh -X connection, starting from a
QTerminal that is started from LXQT's menu on my beowulf laptop.

When reading a mail item, backspace is the key normally used to scroll
back one line. It now has no effect.

Running it all from an xterm instead of a qterminal, backspaces work
fine.

And in the qterminal I can get it to work by using the qterminal's file
menu: file -> Preferences => behaviour -> Emulation. It gives ma a
choice of several options. Initially it's 'default'. I set it to
'linux' and things work properly.

I have to do this again and again; the setting is not permament.

The problem of course isn't that I have to do all this, nor thet tha
setting isn't permanent (though I'd like advice how to make it so)

The problem is that a naive Devuan user might not hang around long
enough to figure this out, and we'll lose him.

(2) Some packages don't configure. In particular, the following are
partially installed, and remain so after multile uses of aptitude:

    sendmail
    sendmail-bin
    sensible-mda

Now I don't use email directly on my beowulf laptop, so this isn't a
big problem, but it wil be one for others.

Setting up sendmail-bin (8.15.2-12) ...
Saving old /etc/mail/sendmail.cf as /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.old ...
start-stop-daemon: matching only on non-root pidfile
/var/run/sendmail/mta/sendmail.pid is insecure
dpkg: error processing package sendmail-bin (--configure):
installed sendmail-bin package post-installation script subprocess
returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sendmail:
sendmail depends on sendmail-bin; however:
Package sendmail-bin is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package sendmail (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sensible-mda:
sensible-mda depends on sendmail-bin | mail-transport-agent; however:
Package sendmail-bin is not configured yet.
Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
Package sendmail-bin which provides mail-transport-agent is not
configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package sensible-mda (--configure):
sendmail-bin
sendmail
sensible-mda
dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
/sbin
Press Return to continue, 'q' followed by Return to quit.

(3) No audio

There's no audio unless I first run alsactl init as root. I don't
recall having to this under ascii, but it's possible I misremember.

Overall, I'm happy with the upgrade.

-- hendrik