:: Re: [DNG] Admins can you fix/set th…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Admins can you fix/set the header overrides?
On Wed, 26 Dec 2018 20:06:52 +0000
Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:

> >> Argh. Sending to the list this time.
> >>
> >> Please don't set "Reply-to" on list emails.
> >>
> >> Antony.
> >
> > I’m pretty sure the individuals aren’t doing it explicitly. This
> > list just doesn’t seem to create, or override really, the headers
> > quite right. Some messages here I hit reply (like this one) and
> > the proper “To: dng@???” shows up, on others someone’s
> > name is populated in the To: box. Other lists, you hit reply and
> > To: is always populated correctly.
> >
> > golinux?, other admins?, is there a config option somewhere in the
> > backend to ‘fix’ this?
>
> Unfortunately I think it's one of those things where you have to
> break some stuff to work around the deliberate breakage implemented
> with malice aforethought by many large email providers.
>
> The problem is SPF, DMARC, and friends. These basically provide
> information about where emails may come from - eg gmail may only come
> from Google's servers. This is a problem for any system that forwards
> email - such as mailing lists and mail servers setup to forward email
> for (say) info@??? to
> ntplumb2458798@???.
>
> So, someone using gmail sends a message to dng@??? which
> is delivered and then forwarded to all the list users. Some of those
> users will be using mail services that check SPF etc - and oh dear,
> there's an email which purports to come from gmail but it's actually
> being sent from a dyne.org server. So it gets discarded as obviously
> spam.

I'd suggest we ban email from gmail, yahoo, protonmail, and the rest
that demand strict adherence to DMARC. A person can pay $18.00/year for
his/her own domain, and that domain will give them at least one email
address, maybe more. If somebody is too cheap to pay $18/year for email
that doesn't require every list they're on to do all sorts of BS that
often leads to an accidental sending to the whole list of an intended
private response, they don't belong here. Eat only beans for four days
and you've probably saved enough to buy good email for the whole year.

On another of my mailing lists, I filtered all DMARC clusterscrewups
to /dev/null. Everyone on DNG is smart enough to understand the value
of a real email address.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21