:: Re: [DNG] Installing without reboot…
Página Principal
Autor: Hendrik Boom
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Installing without rebooting
On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 12:09:29AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 23:33:30 +0100 (CET)
> karl@??? wrote:
>
> > With all this discussion about installing procedures, why do we need
> > to reboot during reboot ?
> >
> > Couldn't one boot the install media like an initram thing and then
> > pivot_root (or what is used today) the real system and continuing
> > from there...
>
> I don't ever want to encourage use of initramfs. Down that road lies
> Redhat.

It's not possible to pivot_root away from the install USB to the
installed root system on rotating rust (or whatever permannt storage
the computer has?

Does this have anything to do with initramfs?

It would probably constrain the installer to use the same kernel as the
installee, though. Which means lots of installer versions.

-- hendrik