:: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: KatolaZ
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] What should be the tasks of the Devuan Installer
On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 07:11:25PM +0000, g4sra via Dng wrote:

[cut]

> That is my issue, focus has been lost on what an 'Installer' should do.
> A great deal is performed at install time that falls into the domain of
> package manager'. Standard tools such as dpkg, apt-get, synaptec,
> dpkg-reconfigure are not leveraged by the installee as they should be.

o_O

You can use debootstrap, amend fstab, add a kernel and a boot-loader
and DYI. Or use the standard netinst without running tasksel and
skipping the config menus you don't want. It's already there.

[cut]

> For convenience there is no reason additional but *separate* utilities
> could not be made available. Do not omit the simplicity and potential of
> a command such as
>
> apt-get install -y @group

But this is exactly what tasksel does, if you want to use it. Which
"additional utilities" do you have in mind here, exactly?

> The base installer should be the lowest common denominator of all
> installs ranging from a Non-GUI Non-Networked Flash only Embedded Device
> to a Cloud Server Node.

The lowest common denominator of all those installs is just the
base-system installed via debootstrap, plus a kernel and a bootloader.
It contains about 200 packages, has just a shell, a minimal
environment (which is not even POSIX-compliant), no network config, no
additional modules, no repos set, no l10n, no i18n, and so on. Again,
this is still what I use in many situations, but my little experience
suggests that the vast majority of the readers of this list would be
pretty dissatisfied with this definition of "standard installation".

HND

KatolaZ