:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Martin Steigerwald
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
Steve Litt - 20.11.18, 18:10:
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 10:46:13 +0100
>
> Martin Steigerwald <martin@???> wrote:
> > KatolaZ - 18.11.18, 09:36:

[…]
> > Maybe… not just yet.
> >
> > But there certainly is a potential. I am glad about the wonderful
> > cooperation between some Devuan and some Debian developers.
> >
> > Of course, re-uniting and still providing the choice between any
> > other init system and systemd or usr-split and usr-merge would
> > require to solve quite some technical challenges as well. I'd say it
> > is not impossible, but it could be challenging.
>
> Speaking for myself, there is no context in which I would ever go back
> to Debian. Yes, 2014 is in the past, but past behavior is the best
> determinate for future behavior, and very frankly, when I hear the
> word "Debian", I feel a little nauseous. If Debian were the last
> Linux distro, I'd go BSD.

For the majority of packages, you are actually using Debian.

In my opinion it is beneficial for the Devuan project and the Debian
project to work together as it is happening now. Devuan is quite an
achievement. However adding to that maintaining all the packages that
Devuan takes *unchanged* from Debian, would be a completely new
dimension.

So in my opinion it is good to cooperate so that Devuan can take as much
as possible from Debian and focus on the packages that actually need to
be changed for Debian.

Why I am writing it?

Despite all what happened and what different people did, wrote or said…
I am thankful for Debian. I am a bit sad about people here still
treating it as an enemy.

It is not. And especially it is also not Debian as a monolithic thing…
Debian has thousand developers or so. Not everyone agree with the way
Systemd was introduced or even with that Systemd was introduced at all.

Well in the end: Without Debian Devuan basically would not exist.

Could Devuan pull off maintaining all the other packages as well?
Probably yes… however I'd not focus there.

So the more Devuan people drop their concept or belief of Debian as an
enemy the better. And vice versa,

Luckily KatolaZ and other Devuan developers already understand this.

From all the distros out there, Debian is still one of the best choices
available. For those who like to do without Systemd and more importantly
with a different init system Devuan is just right.

And that is it. No drama, no concept of enemy needed.

Of course you are free to engage in that anyway. I won't. Cause it does
not do anything to make my life or the life of others any better than it
already is.

--
Martin