:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Chandler Wise
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
I am personally against such a change as being default in Devuan. I view it
as a change that makes things less forgiving to newbies and to people who
occasionally make mistakes.

An example of this is about three years ago, when I was new to Linux and
accidentally blew away my /usr/bin directory and had to fix it. The common
wisdom "reinstall" was not an option for me, as I couldn't because of
technical restraints. After some time I fixed it, with the help of a friend
and #debianfork. (i still use the system today and it is remarkably stable.
I have had little issues with it, albeit I do not think any issues I have
had were due to this mistake).

It was a mistake of my own, but it was also a learning experience. Because
/usr/bin was somewhat standalone from /bin I did not entirely hose my
system. I shudder to think what would have happened if it was merged. While
this is just one anecdote, it does make me wonder how many people might
have had something like this happen while new or just mistype something.