:: Re: [DNG] Devuan + remote desktop o…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Miroslav Skoric
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Devuan + remote desktop of Ubuntu = how?
On 10/17/18 1:19 PM, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed Devuan Jessie on a computer for presentations via
> large TV. And that machine is also directly wired in a small LAN to
> another box that runs some old Ubuntu (probably 12.04 or so, it is also
> just to tell the audience what Linux is about). Machines can ping each
> other now, so besides introducing Devuan, I also want to introduce
> Ubuntu via Devuan by some kind of remote GUI access or like.
> Suggestions? Please note that there is no Internet access to those
> boxes, so anything needed for each comp must be downloaded elsewhere and
> brought on USB or CD.
>
> Misko

Ok, I did it by adding Vinagre to the Devuan box (it wasn't there after
initial installation), and enabling Vino at Ubuntu box to accept
incoming remote desktop requests (Vino was already in Ubuntu box after
install).

And it works well for now, so I can open an Ubuntu desktop from a Devuan
machine. Remarks:

- From a pedagogical point of view (I consider my audience as a bit too
old 'kids' for computing), I wanted to make it simple, which means
without some more advanced but also more complex solutions.

- I wanted to do it with available repository options only.

- Adding Vinagre to the Devuan box required resolving one or two
additional dependencies that were not reported during my first try of
installing Vinagre. (I had to download some additional package(s) to
satisfy dependencies, and I manage that the second try.) I suppose it
might be related to that Vinagre is listed as a remote desktop viewer
for the Gnome desktop, and this Devuan installation is xfce. Whatever
... it did not ask to add Gnome or systemd or like. Good.

- I tested X2Go client installations on my home Debian boxes. Although
the client looks nice, I abandoned that approach because I did not find
X2Go server as a repository option. (I am not fond of suggesting my
newcomer audience to install 3rd party software that is not yet
'official' for repositories.)

So that's it for now. Thank you all for opinions.

Misko

https://www.linkedin.com/in/miroslavskoric/