:: Re: [DNG] Red Hat ends KDE support
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Adam Borowski
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Red Hat ends KDE support
On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 10:27:40AM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> J. Fahrner - 06.11.18, 10:21:
> > Next step after systemd: Red Hat ends KDE support.
> > Gnome will be the only supported dekstop environment.
>
> As I wrote there, I do not think there is much to see or anything to
> really be upset about. I do not believe that the KDE community depends
> in any major way on whether RedHat kind of supports KDE or not.

They also ship a lot less software than Debian, requiring people who want
important pieces to take them from some random repositories such as EPEL.

Just this sort-of-weekend (Nov 1st is a holiday in Poland) I was helping
people from old²-work because a customer of theirs insists on CentOS. And
needs firebird (the database). They used CentOS with EPEL packages, until
suddenly EPEL upgraded firebird to a version that broke compat with the
program that firebird is a backend for, in a security upgrade. Not knowing
a thing about the RPM world, I had to hunt down some other random derivative
that happened to carry required version of firebird. Not fun.

So KDE is exactly on the same boat: not in Red Hat proper, you need some
random external repository.

> Those questionable decisions affect their enterprise customers. But I do
> not think they affect the communities in any major way.

The less people use Red Hat, the more migrate our way.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ Have you heard of the Amber Road? For thousands of years, the
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ Romans and co valued amber, hauled through the Europe over the