:: Re: [DNG] Service directory locatio…
Página Principal
Autor: Joel Roth
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] Service directory location
On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 11:19:52AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The runit (or daemontools or s6) service directory is the directory
> which is scanned for symlinks of runit directories. The Debian runit
> package sets it to /etc/service, the Void package sets it
> to /var/service, and both djb and runit author G. Pape recommend
> setting it to /service, which of course would be rejected by most
> admins.
>
> Debian's /etc/service is a perfectly good choice as long as:
>
> 1) /etc isn't read only
>
> 2) You're not using runit along with daemontools or s6 or anything else
> which might claim the name "service".

Hi Steve,

In order to facilitate users experimenting with
different init systems, and avoid conflicting when switching
from one to another, how about giving runit its own
directory, for example /etc/service/runit ?

I'm not much of a VM jockey. Under what scenarios is /etc
read-only? The only time I can think of is when there is some sort
of dirty file system issue, but that would likely effect
/var as well as /etc.

Thanks for your efforts!

Joel