:: Re: [DNG] Command to permanently pr…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Didier Kryn
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Command to permanently prevent sysvinit from starting daemon

>>     I think this is desired only if you want to enable both rc init
>> scripts and runit scripts on the same system, which, in my opinion is
>> not a sane configuration.
> "Sane configuration."
>
> Have you been talking to my psychiatrist again? I was involuntarily
> committed in 2009 for running daemontools (basically same as runit
> in this mode of operation) on top of sysvinit (or was it upstart).
> Student psychiatrists would be brought to my room, to see this guy who
> added the complexity of daemontools to sysvinit. And furthering my
> psychosis was the fact that I regularly wrote my own daemons, *which
> did not background themselves*. And I wrote them in Python,
> as ordinary programs employing a loop, with info and error messages
> coming out stderr. I wrote my own daemons at the drop of a hat: It was
> easy. I even had my own cron replacement daemon, littcron, which was
> easier to deal with than the real cron. I was regularly the case study
> in the psychiatry school.
>
> I finally got out of the mental hospital in 2015. I ran with runit as
> PID1 *and* daemon supervision, with no sysvinit in sight. I temporarily
> moved my home grown daemons to fire off of cron instead of running as
> daemons. They declared me cured and let me out.
>
> Didier, if you happen to run into my psychiatrist again, please don't
> tell him I'm still writing my own daemons in Python. Whatever you do,
> please don't let him know I still use littcron. And for gosh sakes,
> please, please, please don't tell him about my reminder_check daemon,
> which pops up a GUI warning box when some other daemons begin to
> malfunction.

    No psychiatry here; this goes beyond my competence. I've always
felt better with machines than humans and have renounced long ago to
have any opinion about mental sanity of humans. Probably I used an
improper word to trigger this reaction, so please accept my excuses. I
was speaking of the OS, not the admin. I know the admin may have many
possible reasons to be forced to place her/his OS in a weird (not
insane) configuration. I was just emitting the opinion that having both
rc scripts and runit scripts active on the same OS was, well, weird.

        Didier